Monday, December 24, 2012

O Come, O Come Emmanuel

Hi Beloveds,

One of my favorite Christmas carols has always been "O Come, O Come Emmanuel". When I listen to it I'm reminded of all Israel has been through and God's unending love for her. It's beautiful!

2012 has been a particularly difficult year for Israel.  November saw Hamas militants in Gaza fire hundreds of rockets into her boarders.  Among the targets, for the first time in decades, were Israel's two most populated cities... Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.  Were it not for the grace of God and Iron Domes the damage could have been exponentially worse.

My heart cries for her.  I believe author of "O Come Emmanuel" felt the same way.

A funny thing happened this year though when I took time to actually study the lyrics.  I realized the author was most likely not Jewish but Christian.  I guess I'd just never thought about it before.  In an attempt to confirm my suspicions I did a little research.  To my surprise I found an article that picked up on some of the same things I was seeing, though I don't agree with everything in it.

To me the idea of a Christian "empathizing" with Israel makes the song even more attractive.

Here is a great version from Selah...


If you're a classical music fan this version is amazing!!!!


The Bible is clear when it comes to Israel...

Now the Lord said to Abram,
“Go forth from your country,
And from your relatives
And from your father’s house,
To the land which I will show you;
And I will make you a great nation,
And I will bless you,
And make your name great;
And so you shall be a blessing;
And I will bless those who bless you,
And the one who curses you I will curse.
And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed.”
~Genesis 12:1-3(NASB) 

Please take time to bless her this Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment