Friday, November 26, 2010

Be Living Water...

I am in a Men's CBS (Community Bible Study) group.  This was part of a lesson that really struck me today and I wanted to share...

"Water is scarce in the land of Jessus' birth.  Rainfall is negligible for many months of the year; irrigation is essential to the rich and varied agriculture of the country.  The Dead Sea is the largest body of water in the country, but it cannot be used to water the thirsty land because it is just that- a dead sea.  Water flows into it, but there is no outlet.  Evaporation and stagnation make it polluted and useless.  This is an excellent illustration of what our faith is like if we allow it to stagnate.  We are called to express our faith in Jesus Christ by our works (James 2:17,26).  As we drink from His fountain, His life-giving water must flow through us to touch others (John 7:37-38).  We can know all the right things and even say all the right things, but if our faith finds no expression- not outlet- it is dead.  One of the ways true faith will manifest itself is in our attitude and actions toward others."
I sometimes question if we as a church are that stagnant water.  In difficult times do we still praise Him by reaching out to others, or do we get tied down by our perceived needs.  Be bold beloved.  Put action to your faith.  Let His love and kindness flow through you.  I am a little crunched for time this morning so this is much shorter than I would like.  I may try and expand later.  I feel like there is much more to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment