Sunday, July 10, 2011

God's perfect timing...

Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD. ~ Psalm 27:14 (KJV)

Beloveds I will be completely honest with you…  I need work when it comes to patiently waiting on God’s perfect timing.  I don’t know why.  As I look back over my life God has never failed me.  Some of the most horrific and painful times have proven to be doorways to exponential growth, prosperity, and blessing. 

As I write this it makes me smile a bit.  I envision myself, when it is all said and done, at the feet of God going “Oh, that’s what you had planned the whole time!  I get it!  How perfect!  How beautiful!”.

The hindsight is always 20/20, right.  My point is this, as I look back over the life that I have lived thus far, I see how everything has indeed worked for my good.  (Romans 8:28)  He has NEVER let me down!  Why do I still struggle to release and trust Him?  Why do I still fight to find joy in the present?...  He has proven to me time and again it will all work out in the end. 
He reminded me of all this today…  I’m moving.  I’ve moved many times in my life but this time is extremely painful for a handful of reasons.  As I was packing and going through things I came across a gift I was given many years ago. 

The gift is a framed picture.  At the center top is my name in beautiful block letters.  In the upper left hand corner is the picture of a green caterpillar, upside-down, on a leaf.  The center of the picture is a panoramic shot of bright green leafy foliage.  On the right hand side of these leaves rests a gorgeous monarch butterfly.  Across the bottom, ““Behold, I will do something new…” Isaiah 43:19”.
Instantly I looked up the full verse…
18Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old.

19Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert. ~ Isaiah 43:18-19 (KJV)
As I read it two things struck me.  The first was a sense of God’s provision and protection in a time of change, difficulty and need.  The second was a sense of letting the "old man" pass away.  I can’t tell you how much I needed to hear both.

Then I looked it up in the amplified…
18Do not [earnestly] remember the former things; neither consider the things of old.

19Behold, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs forth; do you not perceive and know it and will you not give heed to it? I will even make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. ~ Isaiah 43:18-19 (AMP)
WOW…  Do you see the difference?...  “will you not give heed to it?”!  Now the amplified is what the amplified is and everyone has an opinion.  And on this matter the NASB and ESV are in agreement with the KJV and do not include that piece.  I needed to hear it though.  It is not enough to see that God is in control.  It’s not even enough to admit that God is in control.  We must actively and consciously submit ourselves to His control.  No fear or worrying.  No murmuring.  Just trusting in Him. 

Basic? Yes.  Profound? Absolutely.  Difficult?  Don’t even get me started!  J

I believe it’s when we get to this point we are able to be like Paul and find contentment no matter what our circumstances.  (Philippians 4:11)

Here I am going through all this change in my life and God reaches out from over half a decade ago and says… “Don’t worry, I have you.”.  He had it planned the whole time.  He knew at this moment I needed that message.  HIS timing is always impeccable.  He used an amazing and obedient Christian woman to get this gift to me, even though at the time I had no idea the significance.  When it was first given to me I thought it was nice, but it didn’t touch my soul.  It got put in a closet and forgotten about with a bunch of other things my wife and I never got on our walls.  Now, when I read it again years later, it stirs me to tears.  How much He loves me.  How much I can trust Him and His timing.  So can you!

1 comment: